A spindle is the critical component of any CNC motor, used for high-speed milling, drilling, engraving, and other heavy jobs. However, as the electric spindle motor
rotates at high speed to deliver these results, it needs to be cooled down to avoid glitches and maintain performance. Not doing this can lead to operational difficulties for the machinery and the enterprise- from decreased service life to complete burnout of the component.
Air and water cooling are two of the most commonly used methods for cooling down the spindle. The spindle motor
breaking down can cause a delay in the entire process. Therefore a durable and smooth method for cooling should be used. But it is daunting to know which is more effective and efficient. Let us read on by going through this article and comparing the two head-to-head.
1. Cooling effect: The ability to dissipate heat is better in a water-cooled spindle than in the air-cooled one. The air-cooled spindle uses a fan that dissipates the heat, while the water-cooled spindle uses water circulation to cool down the motor. The latter allows the temperature of the spindle to be kept below 40 degrees, which is a more remarkable result than what is obtained through the air-cooled spindle.
2. Noise: The water-cooled spindle
is almost noiseless, while the air-cooled spindle generates the fan's noise, making it much noisier.
3. Rotational speed: An air-cooled spindle can clock a rotational speed of 18000 rpm. On the contrary, the speed of the water-cooled spindle is much higher, at 24000 rpm. As a result, the latter can accomplish more work in lesser time.
4. Convenience: Air-cooled spindles do not come with water tanks or machinery to pump water and are, therefore, more convenient and lighter to use than water-cooled spindles.
5. Performance: Air-cooling spindles offer higher torque, which makes the cutting force stronger. This makes the air-cooled spindle more favorable than its water-cooled counterpart.
6. Durability: The service life of a water-cooled spindle is longer than that of an air-cooled spindle. Water-cooled spindles require effort on the operator's part to take adequate care to maintain them. Their durability can be improved by replacing water or using industrial water coolers and other means.
7. Accuracy: As far as accuracy is concerned, water-cooled spindles are better as the axial and radial runout is lesser than 0.003 mm. The air-cooled spindle, unfortunately, misses the mark in this regard.
8. Operating environment: The water-cooling spindle is more restrictive and has two major drawbacks- it requires a continuous water supply, a pump, and other such equipment to support it. This increases the amount of space it requires. Secondly, it cannot offer optimal performance in climatic extremes, especially when the temperature drops. On the other hand, the air-cooled spindle is free of such concerns, but where temperatures are concerned, it will be more restrictive in hotter conditions than the water-cooled spindle.
9. Single use time: Water cooling is more suitable than air cooling for cutting and drilling jobs that run for longer durations. This is because water-cooling spindles operate at exceptional speeds while maintaining a temperature of not more than 40 degrees after each watering cycle.
10. Price: Air-cooled spindles
that offer performance equivalent to water-cooled ones are more expensive. Since air-cooled spindles are easier to operate and less bulky in size and weight, their cost can sometimes escalate. They offer a more stable operation when compared to water-cooled spindles, as they are not too affected by the change in temperatures. Water-cooled spindles can freeze and break in low temperatures, making them less durable and relatively cheaper.
Due to the multiple factors listed above, one can opt for air-cooled or water-cooled spindles. If, however, price is a constraint, one may opt for an air-cooled spindle instead. It is essential to pay attention to the weather conditions in which the spindles will operate before deciding.
WHD Spindle Motor
is a reputable organization that manufactures different spindle motors. Visit our website, www.whdmotor.com, to acquaint yourself with our various products and consider how they may align with your unique requirement. You can also call us at +86 13701504100.